Vertical Planter Ideas
Vertical planting is a growing trend in gardening. It’s on the rise. Where there is wall space there is potential green space. Modern architecture now incorporates many lovely schemes and designs for vertical planting ideas, be it indoors or outdoors.
In this article I want to talk about the importance of using our available space for planting and offer you some vertical planter ideas for your own gardens.
Why We Need Plants
It is a known fact that plants increase our well being and both physical and mental health.
Growing more plants in and around our own work place and home makes us feel good, as well as raising our awareness in our surroundings. Green areas also help to increase productivity.
Our mood lifts, we therefore work, play and live better.
In a world that seems to be losing its green, natural spaces at an alarming rate it is increasingly more important to grow plants and incorporate them wherever we can into the structure and fabric of our homes, towns and cities.
More and more cities are cottoning on to the fact that we need greenery, trees, shrubs and flowers, not only to increase our well being but to save our wildlife from extinction by providing food, shelter and habitats.
Plants and trees clean the air we breathe by taking in pollutants.
In hot climates they are planted to cool the air and to produce a calm atmosphere.
Singapore aims to be the world leader in including plants and trees in their city planning. Other countries are becoming more aware that they need to follow suit. And there are some beautiful examples.
We can’t keep on bulldozing forests, woodlands, prairies or meadow lands.
If we continue to do so there will be no planet earth left, we will inevitably destroy it and in so doing, destroy ourselves and every living thing on it.
So let’s plant more…whether you have hundreds of acres of parkland or a small suburban plot or a balcony, you do have space to nurture more plants.
I earn commission when you shop through the links in this article.
Get Creative With Vertical Planter Ideas
Vertical planting is fantastic if you’re short on space or if you have an unsightly wall, boundary fence or outbuildings to cover. Covering them with beautiful greenery and flowers is a perfect disguise.
In a small courtyard garden they serve to give the illusion of lushness and space. They help to fill the area and therefore make your garden look bigger.
We have in fact been vertical gardening for centuries. All climbing plants add a vertical dimension to our gardens. Climbing plants grown on house walls or over arches and pergolas add height and structure as well as interest and colour to the outdoor space. Use trellis’s, arches, obelisks and other plant supports.
Vertical planters are also ideal for growing salad crops, herbs, strawberries and cherry tomatoes if you don’t have room for conventional containers or pots.
Vertical Planter Ideas
There are many cool ideas both vintage and contemporary for you to add some vertical planting in your garden.
Something as simple as a pair of ladders make a great vertical planter. Old, vintage wooden ladders add a shabby chic look to a cottage garden. Or you could use a more modern plant stand design for a contemporary garden scheme.
Wooden planters available from HH
If you want to go for a green living wall then plant pockets are perfect for covering a larger space.
Tiered plant stands
What Plants For Vertical Planting
As with any planting scheme, consideration should be made for the aspect of the vertical space that you are choosing plants for. Select plants for shade if your living wall has less than half a day of sun during the summer months. The best plant types are compact and able to tolerate regular pruning. Choose perennial plants with a variety of foliage colour, texture with a compact growing habit as well as some trailing flowering types for all year interest.
- Trailing summer bedding plants
What Vegetables Can Grow in a Vertical Garden
- Climbing beans
For further information on Green Walls visit this RHS page
My Top Vertical Planter Ideas
Wall Hanging Garden Planter
Perfect for using on walls to plant up with a combination of perennial plants with foliage and flowering interest. Easy to attach to the walls. Durable and long-lasting.
- Felt material, meets environmental standards, non-toxic, biodegradable.
- Reusable, economical and practical.
- Hanging on the walls, save space, ideal for planting strawberries, vegetables, foliage plants.
- Can be easily mounted on a wall using reinforced metal eyelets.
- Excess water will automatically drain through felt material.
- Soft felt, lightweight design for easy movement and hanging
- Water retaining material.
- Ideal for use for indoor/outdoor.
Three Tier Hardwood Plant Stand
- Crafted from Acacia hardwood from sustainable sources.
- Painted in gorgeous sage green.
- No assembly required.
- Folds flat for easy storage when not in use.
- This plant stand is free standing or it can be wall mounted.(fixings not included)
- Dimensions: 60cm x 30cm x Height 75cm
- The Zinc Pot Set is not included.
36 Pocket Wall Hanger with Integrated Watering System
I love this for its versatility and ease of use. It is light weight and saves time and effort watering your plants. Ideal starter kit for a living wall
- Self watering planters providing sufficient water for days, you don’t have to water frequently.
- Water from the tap drips onto the topmost row and feeds down to subsequent rows.
- Each hanging wall planter has 3 pockets to give you room to grow different plants in a small space.
- The size of each pocket provides adequate room for plants without wasting any space in a small apartment or a limited outdoor area.
- suitable for both indoors and outdoors
- Grow a variety of herbs, perennials, succulents, houseplants or vegetables in just a small area.
- 12 sets of 3 of 3 pots are included.
- You can add more layers to your vertical garden by purchasing additional compatible vertical garden pots.
- These are also lightweight at only 1.6 lbs so they can mounted on your walls, balconies, or railings safely.
- Easily secured in place with regular screws.
Stackable Vertical Planter
This is a perfect space saving vertical planter idea. It can be used both indoors or out. Filled with a huge variety of beautiful plants it will make an eye-catching, long-lasting display Ideal for strawberries, summer bedding plants, foliage plants or herbs.
- 6-Tier Vertical Planter – Each layer has 3 pots for planting, providing ample growing space.
- Makes the best use of a small space by growing your plants vertically.
- Stackable Gardening Tower.
- Smart Watering System – Watering the top pot will benefit the tiers below.
- Moisture flows through vertically and slowly.
- Movable Bottom Saucer – Come with a flexible plant caddy with 4 wheels, heavy-duty and durable, allows you to move your potted plants easily.
I hope with these simple and easy vertical planter ideas that I have given you some inspiration to start a vertical garden of your own. I would love to hear your thoughts and ideas. Have you planted a vertical garden or incorporated a living green wall in your own space. I would enjoy hearing about them so drop a message in the comments box for me.
Please share with friends and family and on social media…Let’s influence some more vertical green gardening.
Hi there, You have done an incredible job. I will definitely dig it and individually
suggest to my friends. I am sure they’ll be benefited from this blog.
Thank you for your interest in Vertical Planter Ideas, It’s always good to know that people enjoy reading my articles.
Thank you for your comments and for passing the blog on to your friends.